Marc Hershman Marine Policy Fellowship
How to Apply
Total compensation for the one-year fellowship is $45,000, which includes a monthly stipend plus a small allowance for health insurance and moving and travel expenses.
Before applying, please contact Penny Dalton: 206.543.6600, email@example.com.
Include the following information in your application:
- A personal statement (1000 words or less) describing your qualifications for the fellowship and outlining how the fellowship would support and enhance your long-term educational and career goals. This statement is critical to the selection process.
- A personal and academic curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages).
- Two signed letters of recommendation, one from your major professor and one from someone who is familiar with your abilities. (Please address letters to Ms. Penelope Dalton, Director, Washington Sea Grant).
- A brief note of endorsement from the appropriate department chairman or dean indicating that the candidate is a graduate student in good standing at the time of the application.
- Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate student transcripts.
- A list (not to exceed one page) of classes and/or plans for the upcoming spring, summer, and fall quarters.
- Text must be in 12 pt. font with 1” margins. Please submit applications electronically (preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Washington Sea Grant
3716 Brooklyn Ave. NE
Seattle, WA 98105-6716.
- Washington Sea Grant forwards all applications to representatives from Washington host offices for review and ranking, leading to the selection of eight to ten finalists. All applicants are notified in early June regarding the outcome of the host offices’ selection process. Evaluation criteria are as follows:
- Academic record and employment history, including applicability to the fellowship
- Contribution of the fellowship to career goals
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal skills, including initiative and communications
- Community and extracurricular activities
The Hershman Fellowship Review Panel, convened by Washington Sea Grant, interviews finalists and selects five fellows. All finalists are notified by mid-late June 2015, regarding the outcome of the panels’ selection process. Selected fellows interview with potential host offices in mid-late June 2015 to determine placement. After host interviews, Washington Sea Grant facilitates the placement of fellows, working with fellows and hosts to address their requests. Fellows are notified of their placements shortly after the interviews.
- April 6, 2015: Fellowship application period opens
- May 15, 2015: Applications are due to Washington Sea Grant
- June 5, 2015: All applicants notified; finalists are selected
- Early June 2015: Finalists interview with Hershman Review Panel; fellows are selected
- Mid-June 2015: Fellows interview with host offices
- Mid-June 2015: Fellow placements announced
- October 1, 2015 – September 30, 2016: Fellowship term