- This event has passed.
Marine Science Workshop for Secondary Teachers
September 14, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
One event on September 14, 2019 at 9:00 am
Do you want…
…your students to participate in authentic, real-life marine science?
…a curriculum unit that supports NGSS and is tailored to your needs?
…to explore connections between humans and the marine ecosystem?
If so, join SEA Discovery Center’s Education Coordinator Denise Kilkenny-Tittle for a 1.5 day workshop designed to immerse secondary teachers in NGSS-supported marine science field investigations and activities that engage middle and high school students in the scientific process.
Youth program participants and staff must abide by all University regulations and program rules.
- Carry out authentic marine field investigations that incorporate NGSS practices, including using collected data to answer research questions
- Engage in hands- and minds-on pre- and post-lesson activities
- Use a performance task to build background knowledge and skills
- Evaluate how field investigations can support and strengthen existing curriculum
- Receive dinner on Friday
Eligible participants can earn:
- 10 Washington State-approved STEM clock hours free
- Up to $100 implementation stipend (must attend full workshop and bring a class to SEA Discovery Center for a field investigation during 2019-2020)
Participants are asked to bring:
- Enthusiasm and a curious mind
- Sack lunch for Saturday
- Water bottle and snack (optional both days)
To register click here.