Washington Sea Grant offers a range of classes and workshops that help marine professionals improve their skills, while promoting a safer, pollution-free environment. Other classes provide community members with tools for supporting their marine environment.
2023–2024 Sea Safety and Survival (Drill Instructor) Workshops
In 2023–2024, Washington Sea Grant and the Alaska Marine Safety Education Association (AMSEA) are co-sponsoring these workshops throughout Puget Sound and coastal Washington. These Coast Guard-approved workshops meet the training requirements of the Commercial Fishing Safety Act to conduct drills. Coursework combines lecture and hands-on experience with the safety and survival equipment now required for commercial fishing vessels. Participants will learn about emergency procedures and be trained to develop appropriate emergency drills for their own vessels. Captains and boat owners are encouraged to bring their whole crew!
Do you have these life-saving skills?
- Put on an immersion suit in 60 seconds
- Right, enter and deploy a liferaft
- Inspect, maintain and stow personal floatation devices (PFDs)
- Take the HELP/huddle position
- Jump from a vessel in event of an emergency
- Give a mayday call
- Test an emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB)
- Extinguish a fire
- Put on a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)
- Start a dewatering pump
- Wire a station bill
- Minimize flooding
- Conduct a safety drill
Upcoming Workshops and Registration: To sign up for a workshop, contact Robert Maw, Washington Sea Grant fisheries specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org or (775) 721-3376. Sign up to get notices of future workshops here: https://bit.ly/wsg-email-lists (select “marine workshops”).
Workshop fee: $125 ($62.50 for commercial fishermen who are Washington residents).
Upcoming Workshops and Registration:
To sign up for a workshop, contact Robert Maw, Washington Sea Grant fisheries specialist: email@example.com or (775) 721-3376.
Sign up to get notices of future workshops here: https://bit.ly/wsg-email-lists (select “marine workshops”).
- Clean and Simple Workshops
- Coastal Flood Risk Reduction Course
- Corrosion Control
- Diesel Engine Troubleshooting
- Financial Planning and Marketing for Fisherman
- U.S. Coast Guard-Approved First Aid at Sea
- Fishermen’s Direct Marketing
- Oil Spill Prevention Training
- Rules of the Road/Practical Navigation
- Marine Weather
- Marine Wiring
- U.S. Coast Guard-Approved Sea Safety
- Sea Level Rise Adaption Course
- Training for Shoreline and Coastal Planners
- Vessel and Boatyard Maintenance
- Youth Coldwater Safety