Washington Sea Grant Keystone Fellowship Program
The application for 2024-25 Keystone fellowship opens on APRIL 1, 2024
- Application Opens: April 1, 2024
- Application Deadline: May 17, 2024
- 2024 Host Office: Seattle Aquarium
- 2024 Position Description: Tribal and Community Engagement in Support of Pinto Abalone Conservation and Recovery
- To Apply: See the “For Prospective Fellows” tab below for information and links to the eSeaGrant submission portal
- Tips for writing personal statements, CV’s, and interviewing for Sea Grant fellowships [PDF]
Questions?: Drop in for fellowship info office hours with the WSG Fellowships team: COMING SOON!
The goal of the Washington Sea Grant Keystone Fellowship program is to broaden participation in marine and coastal professions making them more inclusive of the full diversity of our communities and responsive to their needs and perspectives. The Fellowship recruits and engages early career professionals who are underrepresented in the marine science, policy, and industry workforce providing them with experience, training and mentorship in these fields.
This paid fellowship offers a unique educational opportunity by matching highly motivated and qualified individuals with host offices throughout Washington State.
- Fellows are matched with hosts from state or local government, tribes, nonprofits and maritime industries.
- Fellows work primarily on science, policy, and industry related projects with an additional emphasis on work related to the advancement of social justice, racial equity and inclusion in these professional spaces.
- WSG Keystone fellows receive mentorship both through their host office and through participation in professional development activities with Washington Sea Grant.
The Fellowship offers first-hand experience working on projects that help us better understand, conserve and utilize Washington’s ocean and coastal resources while building pathways into marine related careers for individuals who are historically underrepresented in those fields.
Black, indigenous and other people of color (BIPOC) as well as representatives of the LGBTQ+ community, and allies are encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
2024 Keystone Fellowship Project:
Applicants are strongly encouraged to reach out to Washington Sea Grant in advance of the application deadline to receive application support and provide notification of their intent to apply: Deborah Purce at email@example.com
- April 1: Fellowship Application Opens
- May 17: Fellowship Application Due
- Last week of May: Finalist Interviews and Fellow Selection
- August 1: Fellowship Begins
Past Keystone Fellowship Projects:
2022 WSG Keystone Fellowship host: Port of Seattle – 2022 Fellowship Project Description
2021 WSG Keystone fellowship host: Seattle Aquarium – 2021 Fellowship Project Description
2020 WSG Keystone Fellowship Host: Puget Sound Partnership
2019 WSG Keystone Fellowship Host: Seattle Aquarium