Washington Sea Grant Keystone Fellowship Program
- Fellowship application: OPEN
- Application Deadline: February 27, 2023 by 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
- 2023-24 Host Office: Puget Sound Partnership
- 2023-24 Fellowship Position Description [PDF]
- Tips for writing personal statements, CV’s, and interviewing for Sea Grant fellowships [PDF]
The goal of the Washington Sea Grant Keystone Fellowship program is to broaden participation in marine and coastal professions making them more inclusive of the full diversity of our communities and responsive to their needs and perspectives. The Fellowship recruits and engages early career professionals who are underrepresented in the marine science, policy, and industry workforce providing them with experience, training and mentorship in these fields.
This paid fellowship offers a unique educational opportunity by matching highly motivated and qualified individuals with host offices throughout Washington State.
- Fellows are matched with hosts from state or local government, tribes, nonprofits and maritime industries.
- Fellows work primarily on science, policy, and industry related projects with an additional emphasis on work related to the advancement of social justice, racial equity and inclusion in these professional spaces.
- WSG Keystone fellows receive mentorship both through their host office and through participation in professional development activities with Washington Sea Grant.
The Fellowship offers first-hand experience working on projects that help us better understand, conserve and utilize Washington’s ocean and coastal resources while building pathways into marine related careers for individuals who are historically underrepresented in those fields.
Black, indigenous and other people of color (BIPOC) as well as representatives of the LGBTQ+ community, and allies are encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
2023 Keystone Fellowship Project:
This year one Keystone Fellow will be placed with co-mentors, Alison Agnes (Puget Sound Partnership) and Mindy Roberts (Washington Conservation Action) under the host agency, the Puget Sound Partnership. See the 2023 WSG Keystone Fellowship Project Description: 2023-24 WSG Keystone Fellowship Position Description (Host Agency: Puget Sound Partnership)
Applicants are strongly encouraged to reach out to Washington Sea Grant in advance of the application deadline to receive application support and provide notification of their intent to apply: Deborah Purce at firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 24: Fellowship Application Opens
- February 27: Fellowship Application Due
- March 6-13: Finalist Interviews and Fellow Selection
- April 1: Fellowship Begins
Past Keystone Fellowship Projects:
2022 WSG Keystone Fellowship host: Port of Seattle – 2022 Fellowship Project Description
2021 WSG Keystone fellowship host: Seattle Aquarium – 2021 Fellowship Project Description
2020 WSG Keystone Fellowship Host: Puget Sound Partnership
2019 WSG Keystone Fellowship Host: Seattle Aquarium