Marine Weather Workshop (Port Townsend)
April 29 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Learn How to Read the Weather Before You Set Sail!
Washington Sea Grant, Jefferson County Extension Office and the Northwest Maritime Center are co-sponsoring a Marine Weather Workshop on April 29, 2017 in Port Townsend.
Topics covered include:
- Relationships of atmospheric pressure and wind
- Determining the path and speed of squalls
- Strong wind systems in the Northwest and offshore and how to avoid them
- Key features of low-pressure systems
- 500mb wind patterns and how they can help you find “weather windows” for safe passages
- Pressure gradients and how they affect wind in Washington waters
- Computer models: how they work and what they can give you
- Ways to get National Weather Service and associated weather, forecast and model data on your computer