- This event has passed.
What is the State of Your Oyster?
August 12, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm
One event on June 17, 2018 at 12:00pm
One event on July 15, 2018 at 12:00pm
One event on August 12, 2018 at 12:00pm
State of the Oyster Study volunteers invite you to join them to test the shellfish on your privately owned beach in Hood Canal and throughout Puget Sound for fecal coliform and/or Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria.
Collection dates for the 2018 season are:
- Sunday, June 17 Low tide is -2.4 at 2:11 p.m.
- Sunday, July 15 Low tide is -3.0 at 1:07 p.m.
- Sunday, August 12 Low tide is -2.5 at 2:04 p.m.
- On these days ONLY, collect six large oysters, five+ inches shell length, or 24 clams (six large oysters or 24 clams will be sufficient for both tests).
- Shellfish should only be collected on the collection day. Prior day harvests invalidate the sampling results.
- Package samples in the shell, in heavy, leak-proof bag. Keep samples on ice until delivered to dropoff site.
- Each bag must be clearly marked with your name, collection site address, mailing address, phone number/e-mail.
- Attach payment and collection form in a separate waterproof bag, and enclose that in the sample bag (form can be found here)
Samples will be tested for fecal coliform ($25 per test) and/or Vibrio parahaemolyticus ($30 per test); Checks payable to AmTest Laboratories.
Results by phone 10 days after test dates.
Samples with payment and collection form may be dropped off at the following locations only on the dates listed above, from 12:00 – 2:30 p.m.
• Hunter Farms 1921 E. State Route 106, Union
• QFC parking lot, under flag pole 201 NE State Route 300, Belfair
Want more info? Contact Teri King, Washington Sea Grant, University of Washington 360.432.3054, email@example.com