In past years, NOAA Science Camp has partnered with Atlantis STEAM to offer a two-day NOAA Science Camp Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) mini-session geared to inspire middle school students in the STEM fields through hands-on learning. These sessions typically include attendees:
- Creating a mini-ROV capable of simple tasks
- Learning concepts of buoyancy, thrust and electricity
- Learning and performing soldering and piloting an ROV
- Investigating robotics and its real-world applications
- Touring NOAA labs to see how NOAA engineers build instruments for data collection
- Discovering the diversity of NOAA careers and opportunities
Stay tuned for the next time we are able to offer this exciting STEM experience!
Atlantis STEAM is an offshoot of the Atlantis ROV Team, a high school robotics team from South Whidbey Island dedicated to hands-on outreach, science education and encouraging gender equality in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).