It is with an abundance of caution that NOAA and Washington Sea Grant are canceling this year’s NOAA Science Camp program. We were very much looking forward to connecting with another group of enthusiastic campers this year. However, due to the uncertain status of Washington’s Stay Home, Stay Healthy order in the coming months, we have suspended all in-person programming for our summer season. Please reach out with any questions and, as always, feel free to join our mailing list for notifications of future programming in 2021.
Junior Leadership Program
As part of NOAA Science Camp, the Junior Leadership Program (JLP) is designed specifically for teens entering 9th–12th grades in the fall of the coming school year. The program aims to provide hands-on learning experiences in youth leadership, communication skills, team-building, and scientific research. Up to 20 teens work together with NOAA scientists and professional science educators over the course of the two-week program. The Junior Leaders participate in a variety of engaging activities that develop their skills as leaders, teachers, marine scientists, and give them unique exposure to marine-related careers.
Unlike for the middle school program, we ask prospective Junior Leaders to apply to the program. Because space is limited, we ask prospective participants to invest a little time into telling us why they think they would benefit from participating in the Junior Leadership Program. Applications require two adult recommendations and are due by the stated deadline. Applicants are notified of acceptance in mid-May, whereupon registration and payment are due.
The Junior Leadership program is directly integrated and run concurrently with our camp programming for middle schoolers. This multi-year, multi-level program is intended to prepare its Junior Leaders to potentially return as camp staff in the future or to pursue other interests in the marine sciences.
- Who: Teens entering 9th–12th grades in the fall of the coming school year.
- Where: NOAA’s Sand Point facility on Lake Washington, 7600 Sand Point Way N.E., Seattle.
- When: July 6–17, 2020, 9a.m.–4p.m. (excluding weekend). Please note: Unlike NOAA Science Camp, the Junior Leadership Program is a two week session. This is a day camp program only and we are not able to provide lodging.
- Cost: $400 plus online registration fee. Scholarships are available. Please submit a scholarship form with the rest of your application materials.
- How: Interested participants should complete their application online which is due on April 10, 2020. Applicants are required to submit two references; download the reference form PDF here or from within the online application.
Questions? Contact Maile Sullivan, 206.543.2822, email@example.com for more information.