Updated December 10, 2020
As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to impact all aspects of society, Washington Sea Grant (WSG) has been mobilizing its resources to support communities and stakeholders across the state:
- Washington Sea Grant resource pages for Washington State fishers
- Washington Sea Grant resource pages for families and educators
- Washington Sea Grant resource pages for the shellfish industry in the state
- WSG and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) are partnering with commercial fishermen to increase awareness of Washington State’s sustainably harvested seafood products, which has become particularly critical in the face of the current COVID-19 outbreak. This initiative addresses a gap in consumer information about fisheries management and the measures taken by WDFW to ensure that seafood delivered to Washington consumers is sustainably caught, while raising consumer awareness of fishing techniques, business practices, and economic impact.
- At the onset of the outbreak, Washington Sea Grant provided an online webinar on COVID-19 resources for the shellfish industry which is still relevant and featured speakers from the Washington Department of Commerce.
- A social media campaign ran April-September 2020, sharing seafood recipes and encouraging Washington consumers to purchase Washington seafood directly from fishers. These recipe resources are available here.
- WSG has published several blog posts describing the impacts of COVID-19 to various aspects of our programming, including:
- How COVID-19 is Impacting Washington Sea Grant Research Efforts
- Community Science Volunteers are as Important as Ever During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Crab Team and COVID-19
- Creative Solutions to Social Science During a Time of COVID-19
- Director’s Note: Marine Resources for the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Director’s Note: Washington Sea Grant’s Response to COVID-19
We will continue to update these resource pages as we collectively respond with an abundance of caution to the needs of our communities during this time of change.