Ocean Acidification Specialist
- Ocean acidification science and policy
- Science communication
- Kelp aquaculture
- Harmful algal blooms (HABs)
- Sustainable food systems
Meg feels fortunate that her dual role as a Washington Sea Grant specialist and Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL) liaison allows her to work on a variety of ocean acidification (OA)-related projects with diverse partners. Her favorite projects are those that connect the world of scientific research with the information needs of stakeholders and the public.
Meg produces OA outreach materials for a broad range of audiences, from K-12 students to the scientific community. She collaborates with educators to develop course and field work that is accurate, engaging and relevant. She has participated in state efforts to address OA (Governor Chris Gregoire’s Blue Ribbon Panel on Ocean Acidification and the ongoing work of the Marine Resource Advisory Council) and is part of a scientific team that is evaluating the potential of kelp aquaculture to mitigate local acidification in Puget Sound. Meg enjoys public speaking, and (schedule permitting) often accepts invitations to give presentations or teach classes about OA.
Meg holds a bachelor’s degree from Cornell University and a Ph.D in Microbiology from the University of Washington. Prior to joining Sea Grant, she worked with the UW School of Marine and Environmental Affairs, the Marine Stewardship Council and Seattle Chefs Collaborative. She’s (practically) a native Seattleite and is interested in everything that happens on or beneath the waves.
- The Mountain-Moving “Mosquito” of Ocean Acidification: Washington Sea Grant’s Meg Chadsey proves the power of one to mobilize action on a very big issue, WSG Sea Star, fall 2015
- Sharing Ocean Acidification Resources for Communicators and Educators (SOARCE) Webinar Series
- 2016 West Coast Ocean Acidification Cruise
- Shell Shocked (EarthEcho OA Expedition to Washington State)
- Chadsey OA Presentation to Northwest School 8th Grade Students
- Chadsey KPFA Interview (September 2014)
- WSG OA Demonstrations (Videos)
- Ocean Acidification Curriculum Collection
- Ocean Acidification in Washington State
- Ocean Acidification in the Pacific Northwest
- 20 Facts About Ocean Acidification